Spice up your holiday with this easy Almond Cream Tart. The sweetness of this almond pastry cream paired with puff pastry and blanched slivered almonds make this a dessert your guests will not want to miss!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 strip of lemon zest, peeled with a vegetable peeler
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 sheets high-quality store-bought frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- ¾ cup S&J Slivered Blanched Almonds
- In a medium saucepan, on high heat, combine the milk, cinnamon stick, and lemon zest. Bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Set aside to infuse for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar and eggs well. Whisk in the cornstarch and flour.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and lemon zest from the milk. While whisking continuously, carefully pour about half of the milk into the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
- Return the egg mixture to the saucepan with the remaining milk. Return the pan to medium heat and cook, whisking vigorously to avoid lumps, until the cream begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour the pastry cream into a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Open up one sheet of the store-bought puff pastry. Cut a circle with a 9-inch diameter (it helps to use the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan as a guide). Place the puff pastry cut circle on to a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk with the heavy cream. Using a pastry or kitchen brush, paint the borders of the pastry circle with the egg-cream mixture.
- Spread the pastry cream evenly over the puff pastry circle, keeping within the painted borders.
- Open up the second sheet of puff pastry. Cut a circle with a 10-inch diameter. Place it carefully over the smaller circle and the pastry cream. Press around the border with your fingertips to seal the edges.
- Paint the entire top of the tart with the egg-cream mixture. Cover generously with the blanched slivered almonds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the outer edges are nicely brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy!